If an individual violates these laws, he or she can be arrested and charged with public lewdness.
Public Lewdness Defense Attorney in Harris County
Contact the law offices of James G. Sullivan and Associates today for a free consultation if you are charged with public lewdness in Harris County, Fort Bend County, or Montgomery County. James Sullivan is an accomplished criminal defense lawyer in Northwest Houston and has successfully defended many clients accused of public lewdness.
Contact the law offices of James G. Sullivan and Associates at (281) 546-6428 for a free consultation concerning your public lewdness charge in southeast Texas.
Texas Laws Against Lewd Acts in Public
According to Texas Penal Code § 21.07, an individual can be charged with public lewdness if he or she knowingly engages in any of the following acts in a public place:
- act of sexual intercourse
- act of deviate sexual intercourse
- act of sexual contact, or
- act involving contact between the person’s mouth or genitals, and the anus or genital of an animal or fowl.
If an individual knowingly engages in any of these acts in a nonpublic place and is reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or alarmed by his or her actions, he or she can be arrested and charged with public lewdness.
Definitions of Terms related to Public Lewdness in Texas
According to Texas Penal Code § 21.01, the follow terms relating to sexual conduct are defined as:
- “Deviate sexual intercourse” means any contact between the genitals of one person with the mouth or anus of another person, or the penetration of the genitals or anus of another person with an object.
- “Sexual contact” means any touching of the anus, breast, or genitals of another person with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.
- “Sexual intercourse” means any penetration of the female sex organ by the male sex organ.
Punishment for Public Lewdness in Harris County
Public lewdness is charged as a Class A misdemeanor. According to Texas Penal Code § 12.21, if convicted of this offense, an individual can be punished by
- a fine not to exceed $4,000,
- confinement in jail for up to a year,
- or both such fine and confinement.
James G. Sullivan and Associates | Houston Public Lewdness Attorneys
James Sullivan graduated from Gerry Spence’s Trial Lawyers College, the most selective and prestigious trial advocacy program in America. Sullivan has a proven record of defending people from all walks of life, faiths and countries in courts throughout Texas.
If you have been charged with Public Lewdness in Harris County, Fort Bend County, or Montgomery County, contact the law offices of James G. Sullivan and Associates at (281) 546-6428. The attorneys at the firm each have 25 years or more of criminal defense trial experience. They will make every effort to fight the charges against you.